Skip to main content

Featured

20+ Simple Easter Recipes

Here are some Simple, Easy Easter Recipes you may want to add to your menu:

Cornmeal Crusted Shrimp Po'boy Sandwich with Spicy Remoulade








It's been a few years since I was in the French Quarter of New Orleans but the experience stuck with me.  I realize that most people only associate New Orleans with Mardi Gras, Interview with a Vampire, or Voodoo but there is so much more.  I spent my time walking the streets, window shopping, visiting the sights, and eating some of the best seafood dishes I've ever had. I grew very fond of the Gumbo with Andouille Alligator Sausage, yum!
It is a city of music, art and food... musicians on every corner...artists selling their works at Jackson Square...and the rich, culturally diverse culinary traditions.

While I was there I had the golden opportunity to take a cooking class, and of course shrimp was on the menu. The lovely lady holding the lesson showed what she called her staple recipe, cornmeal crusted shrimp. 
She said she used it as a base for many dishes because it was so versatile. The cornmeal adds a nice crisp to the outside that picks up sauces and dressing well; while the shrimp inside is juicy and perfectly cooked. 
I decided to use them in my own version of a 
Shrimp Po'boy... 

Cornmeal Crusted Shrimp on Homemade Sourdough, layered with Baby Spinach and Sliced Tomatoes, all topped with Spicy Remoulade.



Here's my recipe for Cornmeal Crusted Shrimp Po'boy with a Spicy Remoulade:

Cornmeal Crusted Shrimp Po'boy w/ a Spicy Remoulade
Serves 2-4

For the Cajun Spice Mix:

Makes 4 oz.
4 tsp Garlic Powder
4 tsp Onion Powder
4 tsp Hot Paprika
2 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp Cayenne pepper
3 tsp Dried Thyme
3 tsp Dried Oregano

Mix well and store in a clean glass container for up to 3 months.

For the Rémoulade:

Ingredients:
2 TBLSP Whole Grain Spicy Mustard
1 TBLSP Horseradish
1 TBLSP Red Wind Vinegar
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 tsp Garlic chopped
1 tsp Hot Paprika
1 tsp Celery Seeds
1 tsp Cajun Spice Mix
1 Scallion thinly sliced
1 TBLSP Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate, will keep for 7-10 days.




For the Shrimp:

Ingredients:
1 lb Shrimp
1/2 cup Yellow Cornmeal (Roasted)
2 tsp Cajun Spice Mix
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
Canola Oil for Frying

Prep Work: Clean and Devein the shrimp.


Directions:
1. Mix the Cornmeal, Pepper and Spice Mix. Dredge the shrimp in the Cornmeal Mix.


 2. Heat oil in a saucepan to 375 F. Drop in a few shrimp at a time, fry for 1-2 minutes till light golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.

















For the Po'boy Sandwich:

Ingredients: 
Sourdough Sliced Bread, Mayonnaise, Cornmeal Crusted Shrimp, Tomatoes, Baby Spinach Leaves, Remoulade.

Directions:
1. Slice Bread thin, spread a little mayonnaise on each slice, and layer spinach and sliced tomatoes on both sides. 
2. Drizzle Remoulade over tomatoes, top with shrimp and drizzle a little more remoulade. Put the other slice of bread on top and keep it in place with a toothpick.




ENJOY!


For more of my New Orleans Trip Click Here

I'm linking this up with Club Sandwich Blogging Challenge headed by CakeyBoi and The Crafty Larder.



Comments

  1. I had a shrimp po'boy sandwich once in an American diner in London. I love my prawns (as we call them here) and I have to say yours looks so much better than the one I tried. Thanks for taking part in #ClubSandwich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea with Club Sandwich. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, hope it hasn't totally turned you off to the idea. When done right, it's a damn tasty sandwich! :)

      Delete
  2. ZOMG! That sandwich looks amazing Emily. Of course, it's Good Friday tomorrow so the queues for seafood are enormous but I'd be keen to make this in a few weeks. Glad I clicked on that New Orleans link!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts